Sunday, June 29, 2008

Hakalau Forest

I am living at the U. of Hawaii field station at Hakalau Forest National Wildlife Refuge for ten days at a time this summer. On my weekends I head back over to Volcano where I stay at my dad's house. There are two interns with me: Anh Nguyet and Annie, both very nice and capable people, undergrads at Stanford. This is their first field experience, so they are still learning GPS and compass use, and how to hike around the forest without a trail (a real skill! I tell them).

This morning I woke up at 4:40, ate a breakfast of almond-banana oatmeal, and then we piled in the truck. I drove down to corridor "Grove" where we got out and followed our GPS to our first point, CG+16. A blue-and-white striped flag marked the exact spot that Liba had worked at last year. Anh and Annie put out the bug pan traps which are ostensibly 6 plastic bowls of 3 colors: two yellow, two blue, two white. They filled the traps half-full with slightly soapy water. The reflective surface of the water attracts insects, and I guess the different colors attract different types of arthropods. The slimy soap in the water makes it difficult for the bugs to get out again, and so they are sacrificed to science. Tomorrow we will go back to each of the points we left traps at and collect the bugs, now specimens, for identification later on. This will allow researchers to know what kind of arthropods are living at Hakalau. Liba is particularly interested in knowing how many native bees, genus Hylaeus, are around, and if they're doing okay or if they're declining.

I let the interns set out the traps, then they move on to the next point, 150m downhill. Once they've disappeared and their rustling has moved on, I begin my 8minute bird point count. For 8min I stand quietly and record every bird I see or hear, trying to keep track of those I've already counted (no easy feat, try keeping track of Japanese White-eyes bubbling around in a Koa tree!). This morning's point count of 10 points was a little slow. At several stations I only had three species: Amakihi, Japanese White-eyes and Northern Cardinals. Two other birds I counted a lot were Wild Turkeys, blabbling in the distance, and Erckel's Francolins, a chicken-sized ground bird who likes to startle hikers by suddenly bursting into the air with an explosion of wing beats from where you were about to put your foot.

The mornings are cool here, and the sun makes the distant clouds blush over Hilo town, far below us. The mountain top to our west begins to glow long before the sun hits our elevation. By 8am though, the sun is beating down and hiking gets hot. The shade remains cool and pleasant all day, however.

Yesterday I was helping to collect the samples from the pan traps down in the forest and I heard a descending ee-ee-ee-ee-ee-ee, like the Amakihi squeaky sewing-machine song, but with a distinct downward movement, a Hawaii Creeper! One of the three main endangered birds here at Hakalau. Then, from a little farther off I heard the jijit, double begging call of a young HACR. I smiled in their direction, but I had a bowl full of floating dead bugs in my lap, a vial with alcohol in one hand, and a pair of tweezers in the other hand, so I couldn't get up to go find them. I bent back down to my work and finished quickly. On my way back to the road, I heard a little two-note squeak, and looked up to see a chunky dull yellow bird with hardly a tail jumping around the large branches of a meandering Koa tree. I popped my bins up and saw the distinctive bill of an Akiapola'au, with a long curved upper mandible and the stout woodpecker-like lower mandible. The Aki peered at me then leaned over the branch to peek underneath for possible grubs. Another Aki joined the first and they exchanged soft dee-deet calls.

A little brown bird swooped in, as if wanting to know what was going on in this little busy spot in the forest. He spotted me and began whistling "paio! paio! eh-eh-paio!" The little Elepaio flew from one branch to another with a snap of his bill. When he landed, I saw he had an insect in his beak. He shook his head and gobbled down his snack, then hopped along the branch to get a closer look at the tall flightless intruder.

I said goodbye to the forest birds and went back to the road where Anh and Annie were waiting.

No comments: